Skip to main content

Jasper's memory in my mind!

I would like to think I have many friends that I care about and care about me. Let me tell you about my little brother. Jasper Aaron Harke, was born in Syracuse, NY on August 24th, 1994. Well, Jasper meant a lot to me, I pleaded with my mom to take this baby that was disabled. My mom said, "Let me pray about taking him because I'm not Sarah... If you don't know Biblical history, Sarah is Abraham's Wife... She was very old when she had her son. My mom raised lots of foster children and her 2 own and 2 own adopted. My mom is old... It's true pushing her way through the 70's...
His bio mom was on drugs and she was a cocaine addict and probably on some other things. She gave birth to a normal baby but then took him home and blew coke in his face when he wouldn't stop crying. He ended up having a couple of cardiac arrests, the little man immediately ended up in foster care.

It was quite miraculous he lived. If you are planning to be a parent someday and are doing drugs, marijuana, party drugs, drinking, please get clean, Get clean anyways.

Well he loved the Panthers and other sports just like a normal kid should. We could always tell sometimes he was sad because he couldn't play sports like all the other kids. The neighborhood children were amazing with him and would visit him and play with him. He had a friend named Aaron Baker and some other friends that were also special needs children. He had his very own Border Collie named Mattie Boy named after Mattie Stopanic, a renowned special needs adolescence writer. Well before Jasper died he accepted Christ as his Savior. He touched so many lives from being disabled. This is how I know God doesn't make mistakes. He was one of the most happiest, entrapped soul there ever was. He was intelligent and flirtatious, loved the blondes... Gag! We didn't see eye to eye on that one. He was handsome, with his long eye lashes, dimples and devilish grin; he would have been quite the ladies man if he was still here. This is all while being confined to a wheel chair, stander and afo's. He used the computer to play games and loved science.

Mom and Dad took Jasper to a Church in Matthews, that was very accepting of him. There are several churches not open to children, period in the services. So they were accommodating to my parents who loved the church and wanted to be there. I think the song my mom said he loved was the Song of Isiah. He accepted the Christ into his heart and he used eye gaze and blinking to let us know, lots of occupational therapy, through questions how he was feeling. I think it takes a lot of empathy and bonding with your child to understand what they are trying to convey with out words. It's a great story to understand that anyone can come to saving grace. He was by no means a vegetable.

Cerebral Palsy children have high muscle tone and rigid bones, this brings us up to 2006. A nurse who was taking care of Jasper, was doing range of motion with him. She pushed down on his leg, the femur to be precise and snapped it during the exercise. She didn't tell anyone it was broken so it was a couple of days that another nurse noticed that he was in excruciating pain and we had him x-rayed. The whole thing was horrible. Mom said no lawyer wanted to touch the case. Well his body struggled to heal and didn't. He never was normal after that. His health declined and he couldn't do the things he loved doing, nor did he want to do them. Hospice came into the home, doctors, nurses, pastors, deacons and the friends all came to the home for a couple months.  Some of the details are a little foggy but I know where he is and he's not here, he's gone to be with Christ. My family rejoices in the faith that he is whole, doing things only imagined.

This isn't as much about being sad as much as it's about being reflective. Never have I loved someone so much that I didn't cry. I cried a year later in the parking lot of Sam's Club. I broke down and sobbed. So death doesn't scare me. We are mortal men called to do more than mortal things. I'll leave you with that!

Thanks for taking time to read this,

R.I.P. Jasper Aaron Harke 01.23.2007

Popular posts from this blog

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...