Skip to main content

To Whom the Bell Tolls

 Hi, my name is Joshua Harke and I’m from Syracuse, NY. I’ve lived in Charlotte since I was 13 years old. In the summer of 1994, we moved to Charlotte, NC. It was a huge culture shock and life change for a new teenager. I went to a few different schools here; I went to Randolph Middle School for 7th grade and I was bullied there so my parents moved me the next school year to Bible Baptist Christian Academy in Matthews. I liked it there and played soccer in middle school. I also attended church there with my family. I transferred schools after my junior year to United Faith Christian Academy. I loved it there and grew into a great high school athlete. I played in the praise band and played soccer, baseball was even the mascot, and outside of school, I played ice hockey on a local team and for the Junior, Checkers travel team. I made Who’s Who Among Highschool Americans my senior year. I also couldn’t decide what I wanted to be as an adult and that’s fine. I had an internship in a sports med clinic that I really enjoyed but I also was a Teacher's Aid to my Phys Ed teacher at school. I was torn between teaching and sports med.

               I applied to a few colleges and I’m not sure where I applied. I remember UNC Charlotte and NC State. I chose to stay close to mom and dad but live on campus for the experience. I attended the summer transitional program for freshmen called UTOP and it was fun I made friends that looked like me, which was important because honestly, I didn’t have many friends that looked like me. It’s a minority engagement program and it was a fun time. In the fall semester of 2001, was just like every other freshman on campus, I made friends and went to class, did my homework, and even wanted to pledge Lambda Chi Alpha. I don’t remember the day or the trauma that triggered my manifestation but everything went downhill. I stopped going to classes, I became depressed, and my parents had to take me to a psychiatrist. I had manifested bipolar. My advisor at the school convinced my parents to let me try finishing my spring semester. I dropped out of both. As far as I knew that was going to be my college career.

               It took a lot of therapy and time to get adjusted to life again but in 2006, I think, it’s 2023, and my timeline gets a little fuzzy around my manifestation. It took me 6 years to get a 2-year Associate in Business Administration with a concentration in Retail Visual Merchandising. It was the proudest moment of my life. Along that path had been some major setbacks. My little brother passed away from a malpractice incident with his nurse, he died from an infection that he couldn’t overcome after a nurse broke his femur doing a range of motion with him. In Jan 2007, my little brother passed away. I overcame a kickboxing injury to my sternoclavicular joint, chest, and back when I returned to UNC Charlotte in 2009. That Fall, I had pink eye, mono, the life-changing injury, and then in the fall the flu and pink eye again. I was devastated because I for sure thought my calling was to be back at UNC Charlotte again. So I finished with that associate's degree. It was a great success but that’s not where I stopped.

               Time passed and I had become tired of struggling and not getting where I wanted to be with this degree from Central Piedmont. It was 8 years of struggling with my health and living situations that were less ideal for me. I value peace and serenity and the roommates, that I had been living with were less than ideal for me. My goal someday is to be a fully functioning adult with bipolar. I decided to return to CPCC and get a transfer degree, thank God, I only needed three classes. So I took all the steps to get back into CPCC and jump all of their hurdles of getting my financial aid back in place since  I hadn’t been a student in such a long time. I started the semester 2 weeks late and I had to plead my case to the Professors there that I would indeed be a rockstar in their classes. I completed all my classes with a, well who cares, the one class I was most proud of tackling was Bio because it was that class I said I was going to be a rockstar in with an A. I was a rockstar indeed. I came to class and caught myself up and did all the work needed and the extra credit because this was very important to me to get back into UNC Charlotte. I had the desire to come back for my third and last try. In Dec 2018, my mom passed away tragically from an infection that just wouldn’t stop spreading and it eventually took her life. She was a teacher and social worker and loved kids. So what better way to come full circle from high school than to become a teacher like others in my family and honor the woman who adopted me. It took a lot of kicking through closed doors to end up at UNC Charlotte in the fall of 2020. I was welcomed back and I’ve been thriving here.

               I’ve met some wonderful friends in the Special Education program and have had some amazing professors. I’ve worked so hard to stay on track through having more bad roommates and unpleasant living arrangements while working multiple jobs just to be able to live while I attend UNC Charlotte. The only thing I’ve really wanted in life was to be normal but being plugged in with the disability services has allowed me to meet many abnormal individuals doing great things for this campus. I’m proud to be a 49er and get teared up as I write this letter to you all who are reading this. It’s taken me 20 years to graduate from this great school. While some students say they are settling for UNC Charlotte because it’s close to home, I’m not one of them. The third time is the charm they say and I feel so proud to be graduating on May 13th, 2023 at 10 am. When my name is called, I’m going to float across that stage and probably be in tears because this is real and I didn’t give up on my calling.

This isn’t just a dream because I couldn’t hear the calling that was in my heart all these years. It took overcoming trauma to hear that faint voice saying you belong here at UNC Charlotte but you need to work with kids. They need you and you need them. So it has been with great joy that I get to become a Special Education Teacher and work with some exceptionally amazing children and learn how to serve them. I would love to ring the bell and I feel I above all other students deserve to ring it. 

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...