Skip to main content

Spirit filled vs religious vs spiritual


What is the difference between being religious, spiritual and spirit filled?

Webster's dictionary says that being religious  is "relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity".

Webster's dictionary says that being spiritual is "of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit or  concerned with religious values".

According to the Collins English dictionary being spirit filled or the charismatic movement is this, "Christianity any of various groups, within existing denominations, that emphasize communal prayer and the charismatic gifts of speaking in tongues, healing, etc".

Here's my take on this, Jay Z said on  Watch the Throne, "You ain't gotta go to church to get to know yo' God" raps on the song Threat that he's killing people but it's a valid statement.

I loved church, I guess but when life experiences change us as an young adult as in my bipolar manifesting and I felt like I lost my faith. I don't believe I blamed God for it... It just wasn't fair that I wasn't "normal" anymore. People in my life didn't understand bipolar and I had no one to relate too either and the Church offered me nothing to help anymore.

We should go to church to be with like minded individuals it helps get through life. People on my Facebook couldn't answer what it was I was posting for a theological question. I got it's good to be all three and an I don't understand the difference.

To be religious only are the folks who are high holiday church goers, they go when they want to light candles and what not. To be spiritual is being able to understand the spirits connection to God or higher power to ourselves. Lastly being spirit filled is the filling of the Holy Ghost of God. People have done amazing things with the power of Christ.

In the Bible the Pharisees were the highest religious cast in Jewish culture and religion.  Jesus said they were snakes and they were keepers of the Law. They were the ultimate examples of being religious. Catholicism boasts many religious members but many don't understand the spirit they worship the Holy Mother and pray to Saints. That all derived from paganism to a masked religion when Christianity dominated the known world. Religion has done caused many atrocities through out history. Now being religious and studying the Bible is great and taking communion for the right reasons.

Being spiritual is like knowing there's a higher power and your soul is of this collective. Dorks equate this to the Force like when Han Solo acknowledged that it exists but couldn't use it.

Being spirit filled to me is knowing and feeling Jesus in your heart or having the Force. I've seen God move in mysterious ways, people's lives changed 180°.

So was my friend wrong, no but she had no information for anyone to follow her.

I miss church sometimes but I don't have to go to church to know my God.

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...