Skip to main content

A tear stained letter... to the City of Charlotte

I voiced my opinion today. It wasn't eloquent but it was a start. I was sitting in the car with one of my very compassionate friends, when this happened.

So this has been a very painful week for Charlotte. I've been having a lot of thoughts, feeling, images and people bombarding me with their feelings and opinions.

I care, I really do, I sat at home trying to sort this out with my roommates asking me am I alright.  I am not alright. I walked during the daylight hours  to "my home away from home" Rooftop and it's only to survey the damage in the epicenter and the other parts too that had busted in windows that became boarded up. What good does it do to vandalize, steal and harm other's property or their lively hood. So do #BLM, #ALM, #ServiceIndustryLivesMatter  and #CopsLivesMatter yes they do.

 It's super frustrating. I feel like my head might explode.

Here's why: I'm mixed, I experienced racism at a very young age when I moved to the south. Racism is hurtful and getting profiled is hurtful.

Someone said don't be blind to it, I'm not and it's not that I don't want to process this or can't. I just wanted to see how this dance would unfold. Everyone of you out there that might read this have questions and some speak faster than others. I'm not your judge, jury or executioner of removing you from friends' lists. It's frustrating it really is.

My lively hood is in the hands of people who don't live here, they probably would never come here other than to be advantageous to take away our opportunities to make money. On the other hand there are good people out there who want to see change, they want to see social reform and justice system reform. They want us to all love each other as brothers and sisters should under one nation that sees no skin color.

I have a manager that says constantly, "See the bigger picture". So if there's a problem with #BlackLivesMatter movement and the problem with people changing it to #AllLivesMatter is that all lives matter so if all lives matter than why can't you accept that black lives matter and not change it. Then I saw a black man in front of the police dressed in swat/ riot gear, with a sign saying "All Lives Matter, We are 1".

I got it: I got it then, I got it when the public defender went to battle against the would be assailants who wanted to strip away everything peaceful protesters would do and say, I got it when my friends went out made Facebook videos and took pictures of the horrors and beauty in the darkness of this incident. Then today daylight protests remained peaceful and chanted to drums that floated to the heavens.

Here it is why black lives matter to me, why because I'm not them. I'm just me. You know why, I was never accepted but I am them because for my whole life I was told to pick and I wrote on every aptitude test and every government form "why?"
I wasn't sprayed with hoses or had dogs chase me down and attack me. I never have had KKK members come to my door and hang a family member. I never have had to drink from a different fountain or use a separate restroom. I never was told to sit at the back of the bus and I certainly never had to give my life for the greater good. Why? Good White and Good Black People went to war against a government that was wrong, for myself, our generation to not have to face that. Old white guys have done some horrible things to this country's citizens for a very long time that have been twisted into the government. Hate breeds hate and when we spread the message of love it drives hate back into the shadows. So love isn't going to change the government but unity will.


We just need to see "the bigger picture", We need to wake each other up! We need to sow seeds of love and respect into our next generations. We need to take back Charlotte! 

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...