Skip to main content

All In My Childish Feelings

Sometimes I feel childish when it comes to relationships. I want a relationship with this person like that person has... Stop it, why do I even want to be in a relationship with that person like that to begin with.

The definition of childish in this text's context is foolish, silly or immature;

of, like, or appropriate to a child:
"childish enthusiasm"
synonyms: childlike · youthful · young · young-looking · girlish · boyish · baby

silly and immature:
"a childish outburst"
synonyms: immature · babyish · infantile · juvenile · puerile · silly · inane · jejune · foolish · irresponsible

Here's why...
I have a lot of people I look up to that I had worked for that I wish I was more buddy, buddy with but I realize that they relied on me to make sure the job was finished not take a shot with at 2 am. So this goes for groups of peers too. I wanted to be accepted a certain way but I'm not that person I used to be. I still would like to have fun and socialize with my ex-coworkers but I don't drink alcohol which makes it difficult to be on their level.

So here I am, I am loved by my peer group in the service industry but I can't be apart of them. I even can't date someone in the service industry because it doesn't mesh with my lifestyle.

I look up to Rick, the bar manager of Rooftop 210. I look up to him because he trusts me, he's a great bartender/ manager and I can learn from him. Chip, this I guy that came on a couple years ago and started out a barback and made it to bartender. I think I deserved to get to bartender before Chip because I worked harder and smarter than everyone I worked with. I was honest and did my job. One thing I didn't do, suck management's balls. Being that deals are made while drinking and socializing, I lost out on this one even though I clearly made is known that I wanted to be bartender. Well quitting drinking kind of helped kill that too I bet.

Then I thought about this... The dynamic is all wrong anyways. Chip doesn't like me and I try to fix the past problems we had but that's never gonna happen. I don't need a buddy. buddy relationship with the management. It was like that with Tyler, he wanted me to be a leader and lead by example not just be there fuck around and get paid. He trusted me to get the job done. He showed he was appreciative. which was great. I just wasn't a pal. I feel like it's very hard to wrap my head around that management wanted to be friends with the guys who didn't pull their own weight and treated them differently.
I just wanted to be equals when equal isn't good enough for me when I strive to do my best day in and day out.

The equation was a little different at SIP. I look up to Steve and he is a great manager over there and trusted that the choices he made for hiring the staff would merit he was doing a good job. He hired me and I always feel bad for letting him down, when I became injured. I just have to think about it this way, managers are there for a reason not to be our friends but someone we can go to about problems that arise at work, he was good for that but I'm not good at telling someone above me my problems.

"False friendship, like the ivy, decays and ruins the walls it embraces; but true friendship gives new life and animation to the object it supports." ~ Richard Burton


Here's what I have taken away from all this. It's not a real life scenario for me to embrace that lifestyle. It doesn't matter anymore if I was a bartender or barback. All that matters to me is the legacy I left at Rooftop 210. They call me to do things which is awesome but I know in my heart that was just a chapter in life that I can't go back to.

Do I have a friendship with Rick? Kind of sorta, he takes really good care of me when I help him out, so I know he cares about me but the management all knew what I wanted so I do not want it anymore. Feel jaded do I? Most certainly, I am licking wounds but I'm moving on to bigger things.
Both Steve and Rick have come around since I've left both places. They talk to me like normal now, which makes life easier. I could tell each was hurt by me leaving their bars.

Do I want to pretend I'm friends with some people in the service industry? No, not really but it is what it is. I love some of the people I had worked with and I could genuinely tell that I was loved for being me.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...