Skip to main content

A Letter to My Friends on Facebook

 Friends,

    It's been a while since we've spoken. The semester is at a close, with 2 weeks left and I've put in almost 2 years into my attempt to break what I thought would be a curse. I struggle with money, social cues, dating, being shy, (believe it or not), and asking for help. I'm proud of myself for maintaining friendships and creating new ones. I'm proud of my courage to sing karaoke without liquid courage. I'm proud of my grades. I am proud of myself in that I have made some friends in my program which has made school easier. This semester I ran for student government and I have an upcoming interview for The Student Advisory Board for the disability department at UNCC. I've come a long way in that I have constant anxiety that three strikes and I'm out. That's the negative side of my brain. In reality, it should be, Third times the charm.
    Having friends on campus and wanting to do big things in the campus community has helped me even see beyond my BA. I even have thoughts that I can accomplish a MA while teaching. I've already found that teaching exceptional children in middle school might be an option. I really enjoyed working with my CE at Albemarle Rd Middle School. I really loved getting to know the students and getting to teach a lesson on context clues.
    I just want you to know that I'm thankful for my cheer section out there. It means a lot to me when people check on me. The holidays are tough and time is sure taking its time to heal the void left by losing my Mom. I struggle that Mom isn't gonna be able to hug me after I graduate, fall in love with the woman that I fall in love with, or even hold my baby(hasn't happened, calm down). The baby fever is real over here... LOL. I am grateful that I have a cheer section that follows my moves and sends prayers and positive vibes for me.
-One Love

Popular posts from this blog

Spirit filled vs religious vs spiritual

What is the difference between being religious, spiritual and spirit filled? Webster's dictionary says that being religious  is "relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity". Webster's dictionary says that being spiritual is "of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit or  concerned with religious values". According to the Collins English dictionary being spirit filled or the charismatic movement is this, " Christianity  any of various groups, within existing denominations, that emphasize communal prayer and the charismatic gifts of speaking in tongues, healing, etc". Here's my take on this, Jay Z said on  Watch the Throne, "You ain't gotta go to church to get to know yo' God" raps on the song Threat that he's killing people but it's a valid statement. I loved church, I guess but when life experiences change us as an young adult as in my bipolar manifestin...

Manners

Manners P’s and Q’s. We hear about do’s and don’ts. Where’s my five dollars a man screams out the bus window. The kid sending his father off to the mines,   Says look in your box. Don’t look past the future. We should name our children after gods, prophets and philosophers. Not cars, cereal or carnal pleasures. Flip flop for a second. Hold my hand. Grow old with me she says softly. Leave me alone she screams. It’s over we know. Ride free, flip the handle bars of life and pop a superman. We know some of us struggle.   Who said you get a fighting chance. Think about it   You could have been somewhere else. Today is the best time to be born. Mind your manners. You could have been snuffed out. Hold your hand out and shout. Don’t be too proud to give away those five dollars. You might need it down the road. This was just a fun poem about how life is fast and jumbled sometimes. As it being a mess, we s...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...