Skip to main content

My First Teaching Philosophy

 

Joshua Harke’s Teaching Philosophy

Introduction

In 2019, I decided to go back to Central Piedmont Community College to get a transfer degree so I could return to UNC Charlotte as a pre-teaching student. I chose teaching because my marketing associate degree wasn’t cutting it as a career. I want to be a teacher because I want to give back to the community and be an advocate for the voiceless. I decided that I would like to become a teacher, in high school. I wanted to be a history teacher or a physical therapist and those are very different professions. I was a teacher aid for the PE teacher for 2nd and 3rd graders and 7th and 8th graders. I was a natural with the elementary kids.

My family has an abundance of teachers in the lines of the Harke’s and Hughson’s. My mom was a teacher/administrator of a preschool up in Syracuse, New York called Little Lamb. She would read Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess, and they would serve green eggs and ham to the kids that day. I was allowed to go to school with mom that day, dad tells me. Reading and education was highly important in our house. When my little brother, Jasper was alive we had teachers and therapists in and out of our house like it was just an everyday thing. It was normal for me to be around teachers, and they were special education teachers. Jasper was the most specialist important person to me on the face of the planet. He is my catalyst for my charity organization, The Jasper Tree, hence named after him. His teachers were phenomenal, and they made him work and he was a stinker and they loved him, but they had to put in work with him. He was so smart while being nonverbal, they had to use methods and electronic tools to help him communicate. He inspired me to volunteer with Horse-N-Around TRC in Lancaster, SC where I worked with therapists and special needs kids while they rode horses.

Conceptualization of Learning

Students with special needs face the obstacles that are very different from other non-disabled students. Students with EBD get distracted, emotionally beat themselves up, have a higher chance to be bullied and be a bully or easily frustrated with the homework than other students. I relate one hundred percent. I want to be an advocate for mental health among students non-disabled and disabled. Many students don’t have a voice and I would like to help them advocate for themselves.

Conceptualization of Teaching

               I’ve always romanticized Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society, in that I would have my special education students ripping out pages from Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief on the first day of class. I know that’s not realistic, and my students are not going to call me their captain. My teaching style is hands on. In my lesson plan I didn’t get to finish it through the whole way, but I felt effective because I was able to adapt and change things as I saw that the worksheet wasn’t working the way I had designed it. I had them writing out the context clue when it could have been much simpler by underlining and circling subject matter. I think that being an adaptive teacher is what will make me effective. I ran into this problem with my student that fell behind everyone and was very frustrated. I kept the lesson plan rolling but I went to her desk and tried to modify the lesson on the roll based on her. I didn’t want anyone to feel like that they couldn’t do it, when I knew they were capable.

Relationships with Families and Students

               I cannot wait to meet the families of my students. If I’m an elementary teacher I will eat up the school’s social media letting the parents know how proud I am of their student. Parents need to know all the good their student is doing along with the problematic spots that happen. I want to have parents come to visit my classroom and give me some input on their student and what home life is like for them. If I get placed in a middle school, I want to have that same clear communication line as before. I believe that Teacher/Parent/Student is the communication chain. Outside of the education realm, I’m willing to let them see my life. I want to share that I’m like them, make myself human and relatable to the parents and my students.

Professional Growth Plan

               In the future, I see myself going back to UNCC to masters in Trauma studies to help students. I want to do that while I’m teaching. I never thought I’d have a BA so having positive peer pressure and support I have been able to see myself doing that as well. I see myself being on the board of education representing the Exceptional Children’s department in the County. I want to advocate for the parents and their students. I want to get us the funding that we need to operate at an optimal efficiency. Building networks through my charity organization is how I’m going to get there. With my charity organization I want to build foundations in Charlotte and surrounding areas that help special needs families get every resource that will help them thrive.

Popular posts from this blog

Spirit filled vs religious vs spiritual

What is the difference between being religious, spiritual and spirit filled? Webster's dictionary says that being religious  is "relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity". Webster's dictionary says that being spiritual is "of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit or  concerned with religious values". According to the Collins English dictionary being spirit filled or the charismatic movement is this, " Christianity  any of various groups, within existing denominations, that emphasize communal prayer and the charismatic gifts of speaking in tongues, healing, etc". Here's my take on this, Jay Z said on  Watch the Throne, "You ain't gotta go to church to get to know yo' God" raps on the song Threat that he's killing people but it's a valid statement. I loved church, I guess but when life experiences change us as an young adult as in my bipolar manifestin...

Forgiveness for a lifetime and beyond!

"Forgiveness is that subtle thread that binds both love and friendship. Without forgiveness, you may not even have a child one day." - George Foreman I've seen what love at first sight is and love at first click. I'm going to say that I will never pick love at first sight. Love is a hard thing to grasp and a hard place to be. It takes work and time to nurture. I've had infatuation and lust relationships too. I've been used for emotional and a rebound needs. I have a big heart and I forgive easily. I was chasing this amazing woman who didn't know how to love again nor did she want to. We clicked that night and into the morning having deep conversations. I knew I wanted to be with her regardless of her situation which probably wasn't the best idea ever but there were a few times she would push me a way till she let me inside her walls. It takes a big heart to forgive a lot of pain. I wasn't ready to give up hope on her. Now we are at crossroads an...

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...