Skip to main content

Family Collaboration Project for Transition Services

 

Meeting the Fossdal’s

 

Description of the child and family

I met with the Fossdal’s after I was given their information from the Youth Pastor from the church we attend in Matthews, North Carolina. They live outside of Charlotte in a middle-class neighborhood. They were super sweet and very gracious to let me interview them in person.  I was greeted by the dad, the boys, and Apollo (a kitten). Jason is an 8-year-old boy with downs syndrome. Jason likes dinosaurs, dancing, singing, and his classmates. He likes basketball and bowling for physical activities. They had two children later in life. They also have a four-year-old boy, Gabrielle, who has developmental disabilities. I initially started the interview speaking with Robyn and then she had to go be with the boys and put them to bed. I then spoke with Jon about the boys and what it’s like to have two children with disabilities. My interview lasted near 2 hours. A couple of the transitions we spoke about were life for Jason and Gabrielle during the pandemic. Gabrielle struggled with it the most because he’s in that developmental stage where he’s learning how to socialize and developed anxiety. He didn’t have a lot of outside social interactions. Now he’s transitioned into a pre-k and is in taekwondo. One of the other transitions is that a cat passed away and they told them that Buda when to be with Jesus. They dealt with the death of Grandma. They are getting into questions that are challenging for Dad that he has to get advice for, like why do leaves fall and death.

Value of education and communication with the school

Jason is in 3rd grade. Jason had an IEP done where it’s geared toward more age-appropriate goals on behavior. He knows his numbers 1-10 and 15- 30, they want him to learn math now. He can do the work but doesn’t want to do the work, he likes the social aspect. He’s in a self-contained classroom but does PE with the typical children, his mom said. He went to Queens Grant, and they didn’t like the EC teacher there. That was a big transition, where the school had Jason come in every day the first week where everyone else was online, to get to know him. His teacher takes him to lunch on the weekends. His teacher created her own curriculum with him, and they do videos of the day. His teacher works on scripting with him. One of his goals he must play with someone for 15 minutes, he doesn’t have social engagement skills.

Gabrielle goes to a Pre-K program. They work on conscious discipline. He loves his teacher, Ms. Debose. I thought Gabrielle would benefit from ABA therapy even if he’s not diagnosed with ASD.

 

 

Transition planning and supports

        Things that I asked questions does Gabrielle have Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but could they get ABA therapy and a diagnosis, and they don’t think he is well mom doesn’t. I think the family could benefit from Respite help. Denise told me that if I wanted to, we could ask them if we could sit for them. I would be on board with it if they would be. I also emailed them information about the exceptional children’s assistance center for their needs.

 

Analyze the interview process

        The biggest hurdle of the interview was bedtime, but it was great seeing the parents, tag-team the boys, and get them ready for bed. When it was time for bed I got to talk with dad about his experience with his “previous life” and he said he enjoys being a father a lot. He and Robyn met online in a chatroom. They never had a real honeymoon. He lost his dad after the wedding. He had helped to take care of a lot of family and life has been very unconventional. One of the takeaways is that Jon and Robyn love the Lord and having a church family as support is huge. Another one is like they need some alone husband and wife time they are an amazing duo. One of my huge takeaways from dad was he wouldn’t change any of it even though it’s not easy. He’s one of my hero dads just like my dad.  I wouldn’t change my interview with them. I felt a little guilty getting there within the bedtime framework, but I just minded my place, watched it fall together, and got a really great interview from it. That Hillary Clinton quote about taking a village to raise a child is incorrect. It takes a loving home to raise a child with or without disabilities. Robyn said that she wouldn’t change anything either and she knows that her kids will grow up to be good men someday. That was very hopeful and a positive thing to be given from her.

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...