Skip to main content

A Memorium for My Mom 2020

When I was very young, after I came back to the Harkes, I would hit and pinch my Mom. I can imagine it being rough on her having a little boy that doesn't understand his pain and how to even express it properly. Dad said that she prayed ceaselessly for me to have peace inside. I have had a whole life of internal strife and sleepless nights of emotional pain. Mom was there for me through a lot of it. 

It's weird having Mom gone. It's when they moved to Florida that our relationship flourished. I always found it odd and annoying at times when Mom left 3 min voicemails but I miss that now. I wish I had a recording of her voice telling me that she loves me. I have, I believe every card that Mom had sent to me from 2013 until she couldn't send out cards anymore. I have birthday cards, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, just because she was thinking about me, and handwritten letters. She really loved me and wanted me to know that I wasn't alone in this world. She really wanted me to know that I am loved and how special I am not to just them.

I have my graduation cards and a note inside that says, We're proud of you, we know how hard you've worked for today and we love you. 

I am now working my way to being special education teacher and it's exciting yet it gives me anxiety because of this semester being exactly how it should have gone. It was a tough semester and Dad says that you knew that working and going to school was going to be hard for me. I'm not everyone else who can do school, get perfect grades and work a full-time job. Mom, I'm trying, I really am and I know I can do better. I remember that you and Dad were proud of me but kept trying to encourage me to learn a trade job. I knew my body's limitations and I knew that I'd have to keep doing it my way. I can remember the conversation where you all came around and said you understood why I kept being persistent on keep going towards my goal of graduating. It meant the world to hear that. I don't know if I'll be as great of a teacher as you were but I love kids; and I'll be their friend, cheerleader and advocate so they can achieve their own potential. You wanted me to live my best life and I'll help those kids live theirs.

Christmas time should always have a special place in my heart and I shouldn't let your passing make me bitter. One of the biggest reasons for keeping Christmas special is that you all kept Christmas up till August when I came home at 5 years old. We always decorated together Christmas because I was the helper even though I gave you crap. I will always try to find Joy in this holiday. Just like the Christmas, I sent you a flamingo with a Santa hat; by the time it got there it was pokng through the box. This Christmas was everything I could ask for with my new roommates being awesome, friends stopping in for a chat, dinner, a movie, and who wouldn't want a little bit of holiday drama because it wouldn't be Christmas. We had a Christmas tree with lights, lights that decorated the house and I finally feel like I can say that my place is my home. I haven't been able to say that since my family moved away. 

Everything that I want my parents had. I want to have a family someday and I pray that my wife will be just as amazing as my Mom. Mom loved to entertain, cook, shop, read, and write. She had an enormous heart for children and giving back to the community. She was an advocate for children's rights and was a teacher of many pre-k kids. Her nickname to hundreds of kids was Aunt Myra. She was so loving and kind. She had the best story delivery and as you know that's important to kids, well that and coming up with voices for characters. I want to be like my parents because if they didn't adopt me and invest in me to heal me then I wouldn't be here in front of you today. 

I see cardinals at important times that seem trivial at the moment. When I see one now, I pay close attention to it and stop what I'm doing to reflect. Mom, I know you are in heaven but you're still rooting for me to succeed. I know you love me and want the best for me and our relationship wasn't perfect but I do miss you and love you very much. There's a void in my heart and life where you were and as much as I love Dad, he's not you and I've sometimes forgotten that. I love you and I hope I keep making you proud of me. 

Popular posts from this blog

Manners

Manners P’s and Q’s. We hear about do’s and don’ts. Where’s my five dollars a man screams out the bus window. The kid sending his father off to the mines,   Says look in your box. Don’t look past the future. We should name our children after gods, prophets and philosophers. Not cars, cereal or carnal pleasures. Flip flop for a second. Hold my hand. Grow old with me she says softly. Leave me alone she screams. It’s over we know. Ride free, flip the handle bars of life and pop a superman. We know some of us struggle.   Who said you get a fighting chance. Think about it   You could have been somewhere else. Today is the best time to be born. Mind your manners. You could have been snuffed out. Hold your hand out and shout. Don’t be too proud to give away those five dollars. You might need it down the road. This was just a fun poem about how life is fast and jumbled sometimes. As it being a mess, we s...

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...