Skip to main content

A Memorium for My Mom 2020

When I was very young, after I came back to the Harkes, I would hit and pinch my Mom. I can imagine it being rough on her having a little boy that doesn't understand his pain and how to even express it properly. Dad said that she prayed ceaselessly for me to have peace inside. I have had a whole life of internal strife and sleepless nights of emotional pain. Mom was there for me through a lot of it. 

It's weird having Mom gone. It's when they moved to Florida that our relationship flourished. I always found it odd and annoying at times when Mom left 3 min voicemails but I miss that now. I wish I had a recording of her voice telling me that she loves me. I have, I believe every card that Mom had sent to me from 2013 until she couldn't send out cards anymore. I have birthday cards, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, just because she was thinking about me, and handwritten letters. She really loved me and wanted me to know that I wasn't alone in this world. She really wanted me to know that I am loved and how special I am not to just them.

I have my graduation cards and a note inside that says, We're proud of you, we know how hard you've worked for today and we love you. 

I am now working my way to being special education teacher and it's exciting yet it gives me anxiety because of this semester being exactly how it should have gone. It was a tough semester and Dad says that you knew that working and going to school was going to be hard for me. I'm not everyone else who can do school, get perfect grades and work a full-time job. Mom, I'm trying, I really am and I know I can do better. I remember that you and Dad were proud of me but kept trying to encourage me to learn a trade job. I knew my body's limitations and I knew that I'd have to keep doing it my way. I can remember the conversation where you all came around and said you understood why I kept being persistent on keep going towards my goal of graduating. It meant the world to hear that. I don't know if I'll be as great of a teacher as you were but I love kids; and I'll be their friend, cheerleader and advocate so they can achieve their own potential. You wanted me to live my best life and I'll help those kids live theirs.

Christmas time should always have a special place in my heart and I shouldn't let your passing make me bitter. One of the biggest reasons for keeping Christmas special is that you all kept Christmas up till August when I came home at 5 years old. We always decorated together Christmas because I was the helper even though I gave you crap. I will always try to find Joy in this holiday. Just like the Christmas, I sent you a flamingo with a Santa hat; by the time it got there it was pokng through the box. This Christmas was everything I could ask for with my new roommates being awesome, friends stopping in for a chat, dinner, a movie, and who wouldn't want a little bit of holiday drama because it wouldn't be Christmas. We had a Christmas tree with lights, lights that decorated the house and I finally feel like I can say that my place is my home. I haven't been able to say that since my family moved away. 

Everything that I want my parents had. I want to have a family someday and I pray that my wife will be just as amazing as my Mom. Mom loved to entertain, cook, shop, read, and write. She had an enormous heart for children and giving back to the community. She was an advocate for children's rights and was a teacher of many pre-k kids. Her nickname to hundreds of kids was Aunt Myra. She was so loving and kind. She had the best story delivery and as you know that's important to kids, well that and coming up with voices for characters. I want to be like my parents because if they didn't adopt me and invest in me to heal me then I wouldn't be here in front of you today. 

I see cardinals at important times that seem trivial at the moment. When I see one now, I pay close attention to it and stop what I'm doing to reflect. Mom, I know you are in heaven but you're still rooting for me to succeed. I know you love me and want the best for me and our relationship wasn't perfect but I do miss you and love you very much. There's a void in my heart and life where you were and as much as I love Dad, he's not you and I've sometimes forgotten that. I love you and I hope I keep making you proud of me. 

Popular posts from this blog

Advice to a Dear Friend

Joshua: "How's work?" Erin: "Can't complain. Running my team today. I get nervous. Learning curve" Joshua: "Oh... Hun, you got this!" “Inevitably we find ourselves tackling too many things at the same time, spreading our focus so thin that nothing gets the attention it deserves. This is commonly referred to as "being busy." Being busy, however, is not the same thing as being productive.” ― Ryder Carroll, The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future   Joshua: "I'm looking up quotes about multitasking but everyone seems to have issues with it. So my advice is to just focus on the task at hand and move on to the next." "If they need something and you need something as far as learning, just ask questions." Erin: On her iPhone, loves the quote. In my head slacker... hahaha! Just kidding. Erin: "I love your advice. Now that's legit boss guidance, thanks."

A Heart Bright Like the Sun

When I came to this crossroad, I met this lovely young lady. She had no face and I could only see her soul. I knelt down beside her and said how is your soul is so radiant? She said when you center yourself, you enter the state of allowing yourself to see all that is good and evil. She was the one meant for me and her soul was as bright as the sun. I took the road to the left and never saw her again. The next day I came back and there was no light at the crossroad but a black heart. What is the moral of the story? This is how I feel. No one is for certain who you will meet at each crossroad of our lives. Don't lose a chance to make something out of each crossroad. Then I picked up that heart put it in the pocket on my sleeve and wore it there for all the world to see. I walked across a tiny wooden bridge where I met a man with no soul just a mangled face. We spoke about the people on this road. We talked till sunset. He said I can give you what you nee

She Said

 I would like to think that I'm Spiritual, not religious but I read the religious text called the Bible. I also believe in love and I know that there are definitions of what love is versus what I've been showing to my last girlfriend.  1 Corinthians 13:4-5 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; She read the greatest love and understood it to be about my love of first sight relationship or in retrospect the girlfriend it's about. The greatest love isn't about said girl but about the feelings around it and they can't be recreated because we are all different people. I understand that that relationship has ended, I hold on to the hope that there can be a love-at-first-sight relationship again. It doesn't have to actually happen but I want to look at the woman I love every day with that feeling. Because in that relationship the feeling went away, and I