Skip to main content

How I See Myself - Intro to Education at UNCC

 

Joshua Harke     Educ 2100 – 081              How I See Myself Assignment     11.07.2020

Draft 1

 

What are some things that you will include in the 3 sections of your assignment? Take into consideration the assignments and other experiences that we have had so far in this class. You may bullet or list your thoughts for each section. Be sure to list the assignment or experience from this class that has triggered your new thinking.

 

I.      As Learner-what did you learn about yourself and what you need to be a successful lifelong learner and student.

I have learned over the years that I am not a good student when I am beyond stressed out. I need to be focused on the goal as I have just exercised by leaving GoHealth. I took a seasonal job with Target that I thought would be fewer hours out the gate but they didn’t listen to one thing about needing a less stressful job on schedule to fix me. I struggle with keeping the goal in mind as an adult because bills don’t stop and neither does life. I know that the end game is becoming a teacher and that good grades can help get money to pay for school to make life easier while in school. I need to work on being stress-free or less stressed out while being a student. I think that I really lost interest in getting back on track after GoHealth and it’s quite unfortunate that I’m struggling at what I know I can do well at. I like school and maybe I’m scared to be here at UNCC because of the series of unfortunate events twice before.

II.     As Educator-what did you learn about teaching and learning that was significant to you whether or not you chose to teach as a major or career goal?

I have learned that teaching reaches beyond the walls of the classroom and the school. It is the educator’s duty to be an advocate for their students first. I love that, I hope I can be a strong advocate for my exceptional students. My Mom was the biggest advocate for children and myself. I want to exemplify her life by being a teacher. As I read “The Fight”, I reflected on teachers that stretch their influence outside the walls of their classrooms and halls of the school. It’s not the teacher’s role to be the parent/disciplinarian to the student. I liked that those teachers reached out to the caregivers of the students for good/bad reasons. Establishing a connection between school and home is what needs to happen for some families to let them know hey, you’re not alone with your student.

III.   As Citizen-what did you learn about others, especially those different from you that helps you be a successful member of our society and world?

 

Understanding how schools are funded and how there’s this societal struggle for balance in how things are paid for far beyond when a family’s child is aged out of the system and/or they don’t even attend public school. I think the tax subject is a very difficult topic that hasn’t been fully figured out. I’d hate to be on that committee.  I want to be on the education board one day as a representative for special needs students here in Charlotte Meck. As a citizen, I always want to give back, and sometimes the only way one can give back is time, doing things for others, and imparting knowledge. I hope to always build my network to get things done for good in the community, it’s the good part of being an extrovert. I understand that it takes a village to raise a child but also it takes special agents to make sure that indeed no child is left behind. I want to make sure that for as long as we’re around that kids come first and that all of them get a fair fight to learn and enjoy learning.

Popular posts from this blog

Advice to a Dear Friend

Joshua: "How's work?" Erin: "Can't complain. Running my team today. I get nervous. Learning curve" Joshua: "Oh... Hun, you got this!" “Inevitably we find ourselves tackling too many things at the same time, spreading our focus so thin that nothing gets the attention it deserves. This is commonly referred to as "being busy." Being busy, however, is not the same thing as being productive.” ― Ryder Carroll, The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future   Joshua: "I'm looking up quotes about multitasking but everyone seems to have issues with it. So my advice is to just focus on the task at hand and move on to the next." "If they need something and you need something as far as learning, just ask questions." Erin: On her iPhone, loves the quote. In my head slacker... hahaha! Just kidding. Erin: "I love your advice. Now that's legit boss guidance, thanks."

A Heart Bright Like the Sun

When I came to this crossroad, I met this lovely young lady. She had no face and I could only see her soul. I knelt down beside her and said how is your soul is so radiant? She said when you center yourself, you enter the state of allowing yourself to see all that is good and evil. She was the one meant for me and her soul was as bright as the sun. I took the road to the left and never saw her again. The next day I came back and there was no light at the crossroad but a black heart. What is the moral of the story? This is how I feel. No one is for certain who you will meet at each crossroad of our lives. Don't lose a chance to make something out of each crossroad. Then I picked up that heart put it in the pocket on my sleeve and wore it there for all the world to see. I walked across a tiny wooden bridge where I met a man with no soul just a mangled face. We spoke about the people on this road. We talked till sunset. He said I can give you what you nee

She Said

 I would like to think that I'm Spiritual, not religious but I read the religious text called the Bible. I also believe in love and I know that there are definitions of what love is versus what I've been showing to my last girlfriend.  1 Corinthians 13:4-5 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; She read the greatest love and understood it to be about my love of first sight relationship or in retrospect the girlfriend it's about. The greatest love isn't about said girl but about the feelings around it and they can't be recreated because we are all different people. I understand that that relationship has ended, I hold on to the hope that there can be a love-at-first-sight relationship again. It doesn't have to actually happen but I want to look at the woman I love every day with that feeling. Because in that relationship the feeling went away, and I