Skip to main content

What Christmas Means to Me Now

I started praying to God that he'd take my Mom home to heaven. She kept saying that she wanted to go back home to Zephyrhills with Dad but I knew from her long battle that she needed to go home to heaven.

She was a humble prayer warrior and a mighty advocate for justice. She's my inspiration for caring about people even though it gets me in trouble. She was a great entertainer that liked to host gatherings at home with family and friends. She was a writer and artist. She was a kind and compassionate teacher of many children over the years. She took in many foster kids and adopted two special ones. There's a void in my life without her and I miss her.

She was in so much pain and I'm glad she's in heaven. When she passed away after Christmas it was horrible for me. I cried myself to sleep and woke up in the middle of the night to feel her gone and I cried myself to sleep again. I didn't think I was going to get to go to her funeral because of a lack of money. Some really awesome friends helped me out and wouldn't let me pay them back. I'm really grateful that I got to see my family, give a eulogy, and make a tribute video. Then a year later I had to bury Mom here in Charlotte and it was like a knife cut an unhealed wound open again. I am glad that I had new meds and a different outlook on this. I asked friends of the family and some of my new family here if they would come. I'm grateful they came to honor her: and my mentor and friend gave a beautiful prayer.

Christmas was a special time for mom and our family, because when I was taken away from them and sent back to my bio dad at 5 and they kept Christmas up till they got me back. When the kids were all grown i.e. me being the last... She decorated the tree as she saw fit, frilly and oh so girly as she deserved with clear lights and multi-colored lights outdoors. We had those lawn ornaments from wherever and I'd have to put them out because they needed stakes. I gave her so much crap about them because lawn ornaments, no matter how much you spent on them seem to just fall apart. Dad would always cringe when they'd show up in the back seat of Mom's Sebring.

When she passed away it was the hardest Christmas ever that I've ever had not getting to spend it with them since they moved to Florida in 2013. I really shouldn't have gone out to a little party for NYE because I was so gone and I was very detached from the present. I am so grateful that I had so much outpouring of love from many of you that it helped.

She was an amazing person outside of being a mom. She really showed me how to keep an identity and be a parent at the same time. Tuesday morning, I saw a cardinal and I wanted to chase it, it was just sitting across from the stairs on my floor but I just carefully observed it as it looked at me and I thought, thank you for being my Mom.

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...

Letter of Pain to CATS

To CATS, I'd like to tell you a few things. I get up very early like many other people to ride this transit system. Today, not being the first day, on route 27 I was passed. I'm sure the bus was full but I wasn't even acknowledged and I was looking right at the bus. Luckily I was waiting for a while because the buses are so inconsistent.  Also the bus the goes outbound for the 27 has been moved to detour. For a few times last month I was passed and had to walk home. I was even passed at night time and had to walk home at 11 pm. As it were, I didn't have time on a Sunday to wait 45 minutes to an hour. Luckily that is my short trip from the Metropolitan to Briar creek, I can't imagine how much more frustrated people who live at the end feel. Oh and I even took the 15 once to get off near Laurel and but through Elizabeth but ended up getting lost because the 27 bus passed me. I was so irate that day.  I feel my route is the most inconsistent route, I get out there e...