Skip to main content

IEP Interview


IEP Interview with Miss T

12/4/2020

Aaron had a pretty good consistency. It was overwhelming in the beginning.

He was interested in science and if it wasn’t relevant, he didn’t want to do it.

Aaron’s IEP was as open as possible. The team communicated very well together.

Some of his teachers had some unreasonable expectations.

IEP meetings were ridiculous because they are meetings with people who haven’t met her child. Overall IEP’s were a breeze when dealt with therapists, they were things he could achieve. Aaron’s team was a really good team, they pushed him with challenges and they were kind.

They had an EOG, where he was supposed to read the question and answer the question. There was no flexibility. She said that the instructor wouldn’t be flexible because of the rules. Tina after that had EOG’s removed from having to take the EOG. The test wasn’t designed for special needs children. He couldn’t read and it didn’t make sense to take them.

 

IEP’s with Miss A

12/5/2020

 

1.      Her Diagnosis is Dyslexia and dysgraphia

2.      In Kindergarten, she realized she couldn’t read like everyone else. The first time tested was 8 years old in 2nd grade.

3.      The Dragon Reader helped her read the amount of reading. She could set the speed to her brain processing speed. That single-handedly made an impact on her college career.

4.      Testing was a hindrance that timed testing made it seems like she was dumb from doing horrible on the SATs.

5.      Anything they offer like volunteering, big brothers/big sisters, getting involved with a school to learn about the kids, and make connections to staff. Anytime the school offers chances to get exposure volunteers take advantage of those. Research schools and their administrators, the principal makes or breaks a school. Listen to your gut when it comes to your administrators. If it’s not the right fit trust and put in for a transfer.  Find a place that can relax to help work on lesson plans and able to focus.

6.     Ruby Payne – Frameworks of Poverty – situational poverty and generational poverty.

7.      In high school she was in her IEP meetings, she could explain to them. She would watch other people and their pencils moved faster and thought they were knowing their tests faster. Expressing that helped get her accommodation to take her tests in a separate room.

8.      Her parents had her in tutoring to help. Taking extra time, separate testing and she would finish faster.

9.      Sounds like a 504 she said, knowing the individual what best serves those kids instead of just checking off the paperwork. Making sure the team is all on the same page with the teacher of the student. When there’s testing within 90 days to write the IEP or make a decision to actually write the IEP.

10.   Learning each kid and teaching them to playschool. There are rules for the year in the classroom.

11.   IEPs are legally binding documents. Small school systems that don’t have a lot of resources, they have teachers that don’t get held to the IEPs. We need to be aware of how important IEPs as students in college need to take seriously when we are employed as teachers not just a SPED teacher.

 

Summary

I interviewed two people in my life who have had experiences with IEP’s. My interview with Miss T was pretty interesting even though her child was homebound. Aaron had mitochondrial disease and was given approximately 2 years to live. He lived for 22 years and she was highly involved with his life. We have known each other for a long time, she was really close to my Mom and was like a daughter to her. Aaron was Jasper’s best friend. She didn’t work because he took so much care to keep her alive. With love and care, a special needs child can thrive way past the medical professionals’ expectations. My take away from this interview was that it takes a team that is willing to work with the parent to give the child the best possible life and do what’s in the child’s best interest. It also takes being an advocate for your child when the people writing the IEP’s and interoperating them have never met your child.

               When I interview Miss A, it turned into a two-hour phone call. It was great because she was a former manager of mine. She grew up in an era that was starting to grasp what disabilities are and that they need to do what’s best for the student and not what’s the easiest for the school. She has dysgraphia and dyslexia, in which she realized that she had a problem reading. She wasn’t diagnosed till 2nd grade. She had great parents that had tutors for her so she could overcome her disabilities. She also, later on, became a teacher. She didn’t have to write IEP’s, she said. In fact, she had one student with an IEP. The most enlightening was discussing the technological advancements for reading and retention? She had a note-taker in college and so did I at CPCC. I found it not a great tool for me. I’m a sloppy studier so she said that I should record the class or ask for format notes from the Professor. I think it would help. I like the reader technology that is in the books or Microsoft’s Technology for adaptive accessibility. We talked about being a proactive learning teacher, which was learning about the history of teaching and significant theories and teachers. I liked that she told me to research the schools that I apply to teach at. I like Linkedin where I can find other teachers and ask them questions. Some principles are not there for their students or staff. She made me really excited to become a teacher but also to take responsibility for my own career. It’s a little daunting to see friends of mine get burned out on the system, I hope this pandemic changes how teachers are treated and wake up the industry that it needs change in the way we teach kids.

Popular posts from this blog

Advice to a Dear Friend

Joshua: "How's work?" Erin: "Can't complain. Running my team today. I get nervous. Learning curve" Joshua: "Oh... Hun, you got this!" “Inevitably we find ourselves tackling too many things at the same time, spreading our focus so thin that nothing gets the attention it deserves. This is commonly referred to as "being busy." Being busy, however, is not the same thing as being productive.” ― Ryder Carroll, The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future   Joshua: "I'm looking up quotes about multitasking but everyone seems to have issues with it. So my advice is to just focus on the task at hand and move on to the next." "If they need something and you need something as far as learning, just ask questions." Erin: On her iPhone, loves the quote. In my head slacker... hahaha! Just kidding. Erin: "I love your advice. Now that's legit boss guidance, thanks."

A Heart Bright Like the Sun

When I came to this crossroad, I met this lovely young lady. She had no face and I could only see her soul. I knelt down beside her and said how is your soul is so radiant? She said when you center yourself, you enter the state of allowing yourself to see all that is good and evil. She was the one meant for me and her soul was as bright as the sun. I took the road to the left and never saw her again. The next day I came back and there was no light at the crossroad but a black heart. What is the moral of the story? This is how I feel. No one is for certain who you will meet at each crossroad of our lives. Don't lose a chance to make something out of each crossroad. Then I picked up that heart put it in the pocket on my sleeve and wore it there for all the world to see. I walked across a tiny wooden bridge where I met a man with no soul just a mangled face. We spoke about the people on this road. We talked till sunset. He said I can give you what you nee

She Said

 I would like to think that I'm Spiritual, not religious but I read the religious text called the Bible. I also believe in love and I know that there are definitions of what love is versus what I've been showing to my last girlfriend.  1 Corinthians 13:4-5 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; She read the greatest love and understood it to be about my love of first sight relationship or in retrospect the girlfriend it's about. The greatest love isn't about said girl but about the feelings around it and they can't be recreated because we are all different people. I understand that that relationship has ended, I hold on to the hope that there can be a love-at-first-sight relationship again. It doesn't have to actually happen but I want to look at the woman I love every day with that feeling. Because in that relationship the feeling went away, and I