Skip to main content

Chapter 1 Reflection - Intro to Education at UNCC

 

Joshua Harke      EDUC 2100 – 081             Chapter 1 Reflections     September 19, 2020

 

Reflection Questions #1

What areas ranked high for you on the survey? Explain why you think you scored this way.

1.     I loved being a teacher aid in high school with the little kids and occasionally the middle school kids. I scored it a 4, it impacted me to want to entertain being a teacher.

2.     At least one of my family members is a teacher, my mother was an administrator in a couple of pre k – daycare schools and was a teacher. My cousin, Mark is a teacher in NY.

3.     Doing the same thing in the same way repeatedly doesn’t appeal to me, I scored 4 on this because I love stability of going to work but doing the same thing every day in the job is monotonous. Being a special education teacher would be great because I get to see lots of kids and work with them on different skills and help them adapt to get to do new things.

4.     Being with children/adolescents is something I enjoy and look forward to – I scored it a 4 because I like kids more than all of the needy adults that I’ve worked with for my entire life. Kids are more entitled to be helped than adults who feel some type of way about their alcohol, sports, or how much they can get for nothing. I love getting hugs from kids when they are happy and I love giving them comfort when they are sad. I’m a protector and it’s nice to have fun with them. They are like little sponges, some of them.

Reflection Question #2 (Slide 12)

What are your thoughts about these statistics? Were you surprised by any of these numbers? Reflect on your teachers from the past.

1.     It’s not surprising the statistics about the gender ratio. I hope more men become teachers. Fatherless children do better in school with a male teacher as a role model. Boys relate to male teachers at a young age and can connect most of the time better. I feel that the reason why the stats are so heavy for women is that the nurturer side of things allows for more women to be drawn to teaching. Could be wrong on that.

2.     The racial demographic isn’t surprising either. Peer pressure in high school determines where some kids end up. I wish teaching was more ethnically diverse so kids can see someone succeed that looks like them.  Color is important in the scope of teaching kids towards the future that color will no longer matter. (fingers crossed).

3.     Well with the baby boomers dying off or retiring there are more positions available for the under 50 demographics to become teachers and move up in tenure.

4.     I’m kind of surprised by the married/single chart. I do understand the need for money and teachers need to make more to attract single people to become teachers. At the income that teachers make it’s doable in a marriage.

5.     Well it many teaching positions don’t need a doctorate to teach in a k-12 setting, so 1% seems appropriate. I think that it’s pretty cool that there are 49% of teachers with a Master’s degree.

Reflection Question #3 (Slides 13-14)

Which reasons appeal to your interest in teaching? Why?

1.     Value of education to society appeals to me because of how education was so important in my household as a kid and even my little brother, Jasper’s education as a special need’s child.

2.     Opportunity for a lifetime of self-growth appealed to me because I want to be on the board of education one day representing the exceptional children of CMS and I want to dual influence Charlotte Mecklenburg as a whole with my foundation helping special needs kids and their families with networks of help and lots of information to make their lives easier and more enjoyable with their kids.

Reflection Question #4 (Slide 17)

Which teacher bio stands out to you the most? Why?

Renee Ayers’ bio stood out the most to me. It stood out because that’s my writing style and the way I try to help myself. I would love to take her approach to help kids. It can range from a wide variety of uses in helping children/adolescences understand how they got from August to June. I would want to instill pride in them for growth.

Reflection Question #5

What are your thoughts about the teacher pay for Charlotte, Miami and Oakland? What place would you like to live and teach? **You must review the information on slide 18 of the weekly PowerPoint in order to effectively answer this question.**

Well for starters it’s sad that Charlotte has so much money and we can’t pay teachers more than $41k in a ten-month period. That’s why I stated that it’s easier for married teachers to be able to live on a teacher’s salary. I would live in Oakland and teach because I probably would like the Oakland area. I sound like I’m from Cali. I love Charlotte and I’ve always found a way to stay living here. I don’t want to teach anywhere else. I have so many goals that money isn’t my priority at the moment.

Reflection Question #6 

Are these dispositions (slide 27) part of your personal beliefs? What other dispositions do you think contribute to being a teacher who promotes academic rigor and developmental appropriateness? 

I like The Partnership for 21st Century Skills program, I believe that teaching on those beliefs with that knowledge base can prepare US children to stay equal on the global playing field.  I think that Ethics and emotional intelligence would help curve the path that kids take as an adult where it won’t be needed to be stressed by HR in companies. Whereas teachers are trained to uphold those values very highly.

Popular posts from this blog

Advice to a Dear Friend

Joshua: "How's work?" Erin: "Can't complain. Running my team today. I get nervous. Learning curve" Joshua: "Oh... Hun, you got this!" “Inevitably we find ourselves tackling too many things at the same time, spreading our focus so thin that nothing gets the attention it deserves. This is commonly referred to as "being busy." Being busy, however, is not the same thing as being productive.” ― Ryder Carroll, The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future   Joshua: "I'm looking up quotes about multitasking but everyone seems to have issues with it. So my advice is to just focus on the task at hand and move on to the next." "If they need something and you need something as far as learning, just ask questions." Erin: On her iPhone, loves the quote. In my head slacker... hahaha! Just kidding. Erin: "I love your advice. Now that's legit boss guidance, thanks."

A Heart Bright Like the Sun

When I came to this crossroad, I met this lovely young lady. She had no face and I could only see her soul. I knelt down beside her and said how is your soul is so radiant? She said when you center yourself, you enter the state of allowing yourself to see all that is good and evil. She was the one meant for me and her soul was as bright as the sun. I took the road to the left and never saw her again. The next day I came back and there was no light at the crossroad but a black heart. What is the moral of the story? This is how I feel. No one is for certain who you will meet at each crossroad of our lives. Don't lose a chance to make something out of each crossroad. Then I picked up that heart put it in the pocket on my sleeve and wore it there for all the world to see. I walked across a tiny wooden bridge where I met a man with no soul just a mangled face. We spoke about the people on this road. We talked till sunset. He said I can give you what you nee

She Said

 I would like to think that I'm Spiritual, not religious but I read the religious text called the Bible. I also believe in love and I know that there are definitions of what love is versus what I've been showing to my last girlfriend.  1 Corinthians 13:4-5 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; She read the greatest love and understood it to be about my love of first sight relationship or in retrospect the girlfriend it's about. The greatest love isn't about said girl but about the feelings around it and they can't be recreated because we are all different people. I understand that that relationship has ended, I hold on to the hope that there can be a love-at-first-sight relationship again. It doesn't have to actually happen but I want to look at the woman I love every day with that feeling. Because in that relationship the feeling went away, and I