Skip to main content

Hey Ma, Look I Made It

 ""Kanye told you college sucks so you should drop out, out but me, I'm just going to finish to make my parents proud, proud." ~ Sammy Adams


I'm a headstrong guy. Hahaha! That's a pretty true statement. I have been in college since 2004 and my parents have always encouraged learning but at one time they wanted me to take on a trade skill instead of being an athletic trainer or go into marketing. I thought that getting an Associate's in Marketing Retail concentrated in Visual Merchandising was a smart move.

I arrived at this degree choice because I have been working in retail off and on since I was 16 years old. I thought it was a good move and I wanted to prove to my parents that I wasn't wasting my time. I love school and I appreciate my professors. I have this mentor Pat West, she always had time for me to just come in and talk about my classes, work, and future goals.

I struggled with school and I had great help from the disability services at CPCC and I didn't really utilize them to my best ability at UNCC. I got really sick at UNCC in 2009 when I went for an Athletic Training degree and had to drop out that Spring 2010. I think I was heading in the wrong direction so I was corrected by getting sick but at a price. I have a pretty big student debt for not have anything to show for it.

In 2011 my financial aid ran out for school and I was stressed out but I appealed and it was reinstated to finish in 2012. I felt so awesome and proud of myself for being able to see my education through. I feel like I could have given up. Education is my key to getting out of poverty and not relying on the government and my Dad for help anymore.

Just because you graduate with a degree of any kind doesn't equal instant employment in that field, unfortunately. I wanted to stay in the retail industry. I like helping customers and I like being creative. So I just worked in retail applying to stores to be a visual merchandiser as I was doing sales. In 2016 I was given a chance through my roommate, which was super awesome and thoughtful, to be a merchandiser at Best Buy. It was a great stepping stone even though it wasn't the best situation sometimes there. I learned that my neuropathy would flair up while using a scanner to do my daily tasks which inhibited my speed. I was sad that I was disappointing the roommate and the team lead of my department. I applied to Belk and I landed it. It was a great day even though I took a small pay cut. I earned a raise there really quick. I worked at Pier 1 for a second time. I loved it there. They were great and very much a big part of my cultivation to get to become a visual merchandiser. Belk was a huge part of getting to become a visual merchandiser too. I learned many things there about merchandising and even visual merchandising by getting hands-on with the visual team. I tried to get on with Belk as a visual merchandiser but was overlooked a couple of times. I felt defeated when I chose to leave Belk and Pier 1. I really felt defeated when I was fired from a warehouse job, which definitely was not for me. I wasn't proud of myself. I ended up at Queen Park Social and I was given great opportunities that helped my resume look really great.

I definitely can say I am persistent, in February 2020 I was given three options for a new employer, I applied to Pottery Barn, Container Store, and Express. I left on shaky terms at Queen Park Social.
but it was for the best. I took the offer from Pottery Barn as a visual merchandiser. It was the proudest day of any first day of my retail career. My dad was so proud of me and it meant the world to me that he was proud of me for seeing it through.

My Dad means the world to me and I just want to show myself and him that I'm not a quitter on my goals and dreams.

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...