Skip to main content

To My Bio Mother

"Hi, Deborah,

I'm Joshua Harke and I'm your biological son.
It's taken me a while to get to today. I have quite a lot of questions and I completely understand if you don't want to share but I would love to know. 
I don't know the whole story as to why I was given up for adoption but I was raised by the Harke's with love and I feel blessed to call them my family.
I would like to get the chance to know you and I will try to understand that if you should choose to not wish to speak to me I will respect that.

But whichever way you chose you should know somethings:
I wanted to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a published author and blogger. I love art and reading for fun. I went to a few schools in NC and I live here now. I love kids yet I have none. I have been told I'm special and that there's this light inside of me. I want to make a change in this world but sometimes I struggle. I'm planning on finishing my second Associate's degree and move on to Special Education Teaching at UNC Charlotte in the fall. If that doesn't happen I would love to study epigenetics and psychology, duel major. I love school and wish it was a profession to just learn. I have this huge heart for special needs kids and have a charity called The Jasper Tree, to help special needs families.

I believe that everything happens for a reason and God doesn't make mistakes. You gave me away and I thank you for that. I want to completely know who I am and if it matters. As well as in me, there's this urge to know you." ~ March 21st of 2020

I have been praying and sharing my prayer that she would be touched and moved to read and respond to my message to her.

A friend of mine said, God, answers prayers that need not things that are wanted but what if I want it and need it. The want has always been to know more about myself. I didn't think that both sides needed to heal. I learned that last night.

April 6, 2020: I see a notification from a familiar face on my Facebook Messenger and I see it is her, my biological mother. I was in disbelief and she said to me she was sorry for taking so long to get back to me. She said that she was in shock that I reached out to her and she proceeded to say that she has felt like a bad person all this time. I never thought she was a bad person because of what my parents told me that she was in a tough spot and that she had to give me up. I could be mad at her, I don't think I've ever expressed anger towards her. I probably should be angry at my biological parents. I'm pretty messed up but I think I'm a pretty good salvage by my parents. So, I proceed to tell her that she's not a bad person for giving me away and that I'm a good guy and that I have a big heart and I'm trying in life. I did tell her that I have bipolar and that I struggle a bit but at the end of the day I'm trying to create a brighter future. I also told her about how parents don't always make good parents the first go around and my older sister can attest to that. I just wanted to assure her that she didn't make the wrong choice in life. I told her that I did reach out years ago and I spoke with an ex-husband, haha, he was an ass, I said. She said I had no idea but yeah, he's a jerk. I said it took me a long time to rationalize around him saying that she'd never want to talk to me but I figured that she divorced him and he probably has no clue what she would want.

It turns out that I have a half-sister, she is newly married and that she lives in Florida. I'd like to find out more. My bio mom lives in Syracuse and has been a nurse in a nursing home for twenty-five years.

I'll leave you with a something my friend Kevin left me with "God gives you what you need not what you want" and I believe this is orchestrated to help all three of us. It's something beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...