Skip to main content

My Brother's Family

“And what if---what are you if the people who are supposed to love you can leave you like you're nothing?”
― Elizabeth Scott, The Unwritten Rule

In the summer of 2013, I was alone. In April of 2013, I moved into a new place. I wasn't living with my family anymore. In reality, I was alone when my parents moved to Florida in May of 2013. How can I make such a statement? I can say this because when my parents left I struggled. I feel if it wouldn't have been so hard if my older brother had been there for me. He was planning his escape from Charlotte too. He was getting ready to move his family to Kentucky that summer. This is why I was alone. They lived in the Charlotte area but never gave me the time of day. I craved my family and I felt like I was a burden on them.

When I came to my foster family the Harke's in 1982, they tried to figure out what to call me. My parents wanted to name me Paul and Brian wanted to give me the name Joshua. He gave me a name he wanted to give his future son. That's a pretty awesome gift. So they named me Joshua Paul.

I struggle with telling the world how I feel. I was so hurt and I felt abandoned even though it was my choice to live in Charlotte, NC. I felt more hurt because my sibling chose to really have nothing to do with me. I asked them a lot if I could hang out with them. They could have gotten me on Sundays. It really hurt when they brought me groceries but I guess I should have been grateful for the charity. I asked nothing of the sorts. I actually hate any charity towards me. I value time above all other things. When my world is crumbling around me I just want to be held or surrounded so I can feel love.

We really haven't had much interaction with my big bro's family and I. He came through North Carolina a couple of years ago when the really bad hurricanes were ripping apart the east coast. The last time I was in the same location was when my Mother passed away in 2018. We came together in January 2019 in Tampa, Fl to mourn our Mom and the kids' Grandma. I miss my mom and I really wish I was closer to my brother and his family.

I have communication with them some and we have video chat but it's not the same. I even orchestrated the zoom meeting with Dad, them and myself. I feel bad that I was battling depression at family dinners, now. I'd be so detached from the family on holidays and I haven't spent a holiday in years with my family as a whole.

This isn't a happy story but as with many things I have hope that they want me to stick around.

My older Sis says that in marriage the guy often leaves behind his family. I wish it wasn't the case and I really want to be apart of their lives.

Family is the biggest thing to me because families are supposed to represent a bond of love.
I truly love my older bro's family and am grateful for my brother because of his sacrifice when my parents were trying to adopt me.  I can honestly say I am forever indebted to my family because if they hadn't adopted me I don't know if I'd be alive or who I'd be today.

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Music my lover!

I love music and it was used to hurt me. Music is my friend, I've always looked to it for motivation, ways to open my heart to new ideas and heal the pain. Music is my lover, my mother that draws me into the eternal planes of her bosom. I've never broken up with someone with music but it happened to me. While I am hurt by it, Music can never be ripped from my soul. I'll say it Music, you betrayed me, I share you with so many and you walk away from me. You say, Joshua, are you okay? I'll never leave music, my soul is clothed and tied to my heart that beats like a steel drum on Kingston's streets. It's fuel, she's a fire that allows me to be creative. Just as I paint my soul onto a canvas, I pour my heart out in words... words that can inspire love or evoke hate. I've never wanted to make anyone hate anyone or me for that matter. Love is what I have to give to the world, it comes out through all the pain or self inflicted torture. I won't walk away ...

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...