Skip to main content

I Wish You The Best

“There were many, many times thereafter that Don regretted having enlisted - but so has every man who ever volunteered for military service.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

It was the summer of 2002, I just had my college career was over as I thought it was so,
I wanted a new life.

I was struggling with an ongoing change inside of me. I had already manifested bipolar.
I was interested in the idea of military service. People who join the military have many reasons some are noble, some are nefarious, some are based on a plea deal, and others a way to help get a new life.

My choices were I wanted to have a new life and I did love my country very much. I went to the recruiting office of the Marines here in Charlotte. It was a sad day, I didn't get my chance to serve my country like others in my family. I was immensely hurt. I have found that when my bipolar gets in my way, the chip on my shoulder grows and the weight of having bipolar grows heavier. It wasn't fair I felt. I think because I was young, I probably took it pretty rough. I'm sure I sulked for a while. Bipolar has probably saved my life from battle and hurting others. I surely would have developed war PTSD because I already had childhood PTSD.

I had such a deep resentment because I had been rejected and I was very selfish for a long time when it came to being patriotic. I half-heartedly stood there for our national anthem always with my hand over my chest but I was essentially a person who would have taken a knee. For the longest time, I never ever thanked servicemen and women for their service and I still think some are entitled because people are people, and joining the military doesn't make you brave or loyal to your country. I loved my country and I was rejected by her.

I've come across some really entitled fools, working in retail and also have rubbed me the wrong way about expecting a discount for goods or services and if they don't get them they pout and huff and puff. You know I wanted to join the Maries for a better life mostly but I wouldn't have felt like anyone owed me a discount or a free sandwich. It is what it is. I made the decision I wasn't forced like our grandparents. When you freely give of yourself you are owed respect and to be taken care of by your employer not to get free stuff.

In 2017, I stopped drinking alcohol. The world changed soon after for me. I understood that it wasn't bipolar that stopped me it was God closing a door and probably was a good thing in this instance that I didn't get to be a marine. I also have a mentor that is a marine and I love him very much. I saw selflessness in him and he's what a patriot looks like. I changed and I've seen many things differently after quitting drinking. I see the bigger picture now. It's okay to thank our armed services and many have left their lives behind to join something bigger than themselves. All of them deserve our thanks.

I love my country and I was recently asked by a marine if I was a marine and I proudly said no but I wanted to be one and it just didn't work out. He said that's okay and thank you, and I felt like changing my perspective was for the best.

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes for different friends?

"Each friendship offers something totally unique — and irreplaceable. Each friendship ultimately makes us who we are." - unknown Irreplaceable - "adjective incapable of being replaced; unique: an irreplaceable vase." I have few things in life that I'd consider friends, music... okay maybe just music. Why just music, well I don't have a doggy companion to love on. Music is the number one tangible thug that never let's me down. When I'm angry or sad it can lift my to the heavens or bring me all this emotional energy that I need to survive. Now on to people, my unique friendships, some have been with some amazing people. My childhood neighborhood friends well those that have lasted the test of ptsd and forgetting some of you. My roommate and I have been friends for 13 years, he's irreplaceable in that he is what I've come to need in life a strong, level headed and extremely compassionate friend. How he teaches me to be appreciative of wha...

Things I Think About!

Things I think about: Turtles, they hide in their shells when frightened. Is it true? I'll have to look it up on the internet. If it's on the internet does it make it true, only if it's from a credible source? What makes that source credible? Hmmm... ... I wish I had chosen history as my degree instead of marketing then I could have pretended to teach those who in reality would be teaching me but should I give credit to Roger for that? If I were to get scared while teaching I could just put my head in my desk and have a web cam in my desk so the kids could see me and continue to teach... lol! If I were a bubble boy turned into a man in bubble would I have to have disability accommodations for stupidity? If I were a bubble man I would have a van with the front seats taken out and a curved ramp that would pull out so I could park and roll out of the van when I get to my destination. If I were a teacher in a bubble... -April 26th, 2016 I love school... wait f...

Manners

Manners P’s and Q’s. We hear about do’s and don’ts. Where’s my five dollars a man screams out the bus window. The kid sending his father off to the mines,   Says look in your box. Don’t look past the future. We should name our children after gods, prophets and philosophers. Not cars, cereal or carnal pleasures. Flip flop for a second. Hold my hand. Grow old with me she says softly. Leave me alone she screams. It’s over we know. Ride free, flip the handle bars of life and pop a superman. We know some of us struggle.   Who said you get a fighting chance. Think about it   You could have been somewhere else. Today is the best time to be born. Mind your manners. You could have been snuffed out. Hold your hand out and shout. Don’t be too proud to give away those five dollars. You might need it down the road. This was just a fun poem about how life is fast and jumbled sometimes. As it being a mess, we s...